For many patients around the world, especially in developing markets, the access to diagnostic tests is problematic, due to a shortage of health care facilities, long distances to the nearest lab, or non-affordable costs of lab tests.
Improper access to diagnostics tests creates a huge challenge to the healthcare systems and results in the mortality and morbidity of millions of people due to the undiagnosed or late diagnosis of medical conditions.
This challenge focuses on affordable diagnostics (Dx) solutions that can be delivered at the Point-of-Care (POC) – points with optimal proximity to patients/consumers, by non-health professionals. Maximizing accessibility to millions of people, these tests will need to be carried out not in the centralized conventional healthcare facilities of hospitals, labs, and clinics, but rather in the patient’s neighborhood, local community center, pharmacy or other community facilities by a person with no significant medical training.
Send us a POC Dx solution that is:
- Equivalent in its precision to the gold-standard measurement
- Affordable (in machinery and consumables if any)
- Can be carried-out in a non-clinical environment by a non-healthcare professional
(a technician that was trained to perform the test in less than an hour)
- Can generate results in real-time/near real-time (less than an hour).
- Could have an immense health impact if implemented (in terms of # of lives it can impact,
and potential contribution per patient)
This challenge has two submission routes. You may either send:
- A product/ solution that you have developed, designed or invented
- or a list of the best 5 relevant available products/ solutions that you have identified in the market according to the described challenge.
- The desired solution should be a product or solution that is at a mature phase (after prototype & proof of concept).
- The type of the POC solution can vary in type ( in-vitro, electronic, optical, magnetic, etc.)
- The description of the solution should include:
- The product & technology including maturity level of the solution
- Mode of operation
- The solution specifications according to b. above
- Costs/ prices (can be an estimated range)
- Potential impact (# of lives X impact per person)
- Information about the company (+ website) & team