Asthma is a common non-communicable chronic disease that affects as many as 334 million people of all ages in all parts of the world. It is characterized by recurrent attacks of breathlessness and wheezing, which vary in severity and frequency from person to person. Avoidable asthma deaths are still occurring due to inappropriate management of asthma, including over-reliance on reliever medication rather than preventive medicine. The patient and caregivers need to both prevent the next asthma attack, and on the other hand to provide the required support once asthmatic attack occurred.
Tracking of several parameters can alert a child/adult patient and caregiver on increased probability for asthma attack, in which medication support or environmental change is needed as prevention.
Among these parameters:
- Peak expiratory flow
- NO (Nitric Oxide) level
- Airways pH level (pH of deaerated exhaled airway vapor condensate is over two log orders lower in patients with acute asthma (5.23 +/- 0.21, n = 22) than in control subjects (7.65 +/- 0.20, n = 19, p < 0.001) (Am J Respir Crit Care Medicine 175:9 2007).
- And potentially more
In addition to the early detection capabilities, the need is also for way to deliver the tracked medical information and alerts to caregivers (parents) and physicians, and potentially can also include an emergency button.
Design a small, portable device/sensor/solution that can enable self-measurement of relevant indicators, medical data collection/analysis, and delivery of alerts to the patients/caregivers, in warning of near asthma attack.
- Description of your product/solution; Add any supportive sketches, drawings, charts, videos, graphs or visuals of your solution
- Describe the indicators selected, the rationale and supportive scientific literature
- Describe the supporting technology and mode of action (+ IP involved)
- Size and design of the device
- The maturity level of the solution and potential time to market
- Costs/ prices (can be an estimated range)
- Information about the company (+ website) & team
Better ranking will be given to devices that are more mature (after prototype & proof of concept), compact, well designed and user-friendly